Can you use thyroid supplements to help you with weight loss?
The answer is maybe and that it really depends. Some supplements work better than others, but you should never plan on only using supplements if your goal is weight loss.
Because it usually takes a lot more than just 1 or 2 supplements to help you lose all of your weight and feel back to normal. This should go without saying, but just keep it in mind.
Having said that, there are certain categories of supplements which can help thyroid patients with weight loss.
These categories include:
#1. Supplements that increase T3.
– T3 is king when it comes to weight loss. Any supplement which helps to promote more T3 may, therefore, help with weight loss. Certain supplements such as selenium, zinc, guggul, and vitamin A can help more than others.
#2. Supplements that support your metabolism.
– One of the most important things you can do to help with weight loss is enhance your metabolism. Certain supplements, such as protein powder, can improve your metabolism which may help.
#3. Supplements which improve your gut function.
– Probiotics, prebiotics, and enzymes can all potentially help with weight loss by influencing your gut microbiome. The bacteria in your gut influence how many calories you absorb and can even alter your hormones.
In addition to using these supplements, you also want to make sure that you avoid certain supplements as well. Pretty much any supplement which sounds gimmicky is something that you will want to avoid. These supplements can actually do more harm than good, especially if you have thyroid disease.
Recommended thyroid supplements to enhance thyroid function:
– For thyroid hormone production and conversion: +
– For hair loss:
– For weight management: +
– For gut health:
– For energy and adrenal health: +
I’m Dr. Westin Childs and I focus on thyroid health, hormone balance, and weight loss. I write about thyroid disorders, weight loss, insulin resistance, estrogen/progesterone balance on my blog. I truly believe that hormone balance is the key to managing your weight, your mood and your quality of life which is why I’m so passionate about it.
If you enjoyed this video please subscribe on youtube or leave a comment on my podcast here:
This video is not intended to be used as medical advice. If you have questions about your health please consult your physician or primary care provider. Dr. Westin Childs goes to great lengths to produce high-quality content but this is NOT a substitute for medical care.